Sabtu, 26 Februari 2011

Snow Dyeing Tutorial

OK, here you go. The results and step by step of my snow dyeing.

#1 - You need to prepare your fabrics for dyeing.

#2 - We clipped screen material to plastic boxes.


 #3 You can see the prepared fabrics on the box in the back. (below)


 #4 Snow is brought in from outside and packed around the edge and on top of the fabrics.


#5 Procion Dyes are mixed and poured into the snow.


 #6 As the snow melts the fabric will start to peek out.


#7 You don't want that fabric to dry out, so cover everything with plastic wrap. Don't worry the bottom won't dry out because the melting snow is keeping it wet.


#8 - When I tried this the second time I used a bigger tub and a window screen for a bigger batch of fabrics - worked great! (Monkey is a former toy design that I did for Manhattan Toys, he's an early prototype that hangs around in my basement) below.



Are you wondering what on earth these things are going to looks like.


Well I think they look like NOTHING ON EARTH.


They have a much more ethereal and HEAVENLY look in my opinion.





To see the complete collection of Snow Dyed Fabrics please visit the TEXTILE ALCHEMIST.

Special thanks to Louise Schotz's Outback Studio. Where the first batch was manifest!