Selasa, 15 Maret 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree!

Do you remember last month I introduced you to a young quilter named Brittany Anderson? Here's the post in case you missed it.    Well, this month at quilt club she and her Mom Lorie brought a mother-daughter show and tell.


I asked Lorie how it was that they both made the same quilt. Here is her reply, "Funny story. Last summer at the august cottage retreat we visited the Hazelhurst [WI] quilt store, after walking through the Minocqua quilt show. I bought the pattern because I liked the pink with the brown and also picked up some civil war prints to make the quilt. I took it home and set it aside after washing the fabrics and then not wanting to cut them, they went into the stash.

Months later Brittany went up north to see Sam and stopped in at the Hazelhurst Quilt store. I guess after making Sam a quilt for Christmas, and her bird quilt during winter break, she needed another project. She bought the SAME Pattern, and one fat quarter to make it, knowing she could pick out more fabrics at home.

She was so excited to show me what she had purchased it was funny when I showed her the same pattern in my stash. She wanted to start it right away. So we took all the civil war prints out we could find and each picked out fabric to make our own. I wanted mine to look like the pattern with pinks and browns and to be colonial period looking so I used muslin for the backing and hand quilted.  Brittany used civil war prints in the blues and gray and browns with machine quilting with a larger stitch to appear hand quilted vintage. Both are very different looking. We appliquéd the birds and stars with hand dyed Valdani threads.

I think we had fun creating our own little quilts. I am in the process of making the doll."


Lorie and Brittany, thanks again for sharing your work with us. You are both an inspiration!




Jamie Kalvestran

What's that? Down at their feet? No, it's not flooring tile. It's a project that our quilt club group is doing together. I will have a post all about it in the future . . . so stay tuned!



PS. Below is the pattern they used!